Tuesday, December 3, 2013

This weeks post: reflecting on the weekend's art show

This past weekend I drove from Grand Rapids to Saline Michigan where I participated in a group show.  My brother-in-law started inviting friends, neighbors, and community members to his first in home art show 50 years ago!  It has always taken place the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  I haven't been able to attend them every year because of our life as a Marine Corps family. We attended when we could.  Through the years the topic of conversation before the show always included speculation about the weather.  In Michigan at that time of year one can always expect the unexpected.  Heavy, drifting snow, cars slipping and sliding up and down the hill to their house, rain, freezing rain, warm and sunny, and sometimes even several of those conditions in one day.  It is after all Michigan.  Some years the house would be bustling and overcrowded with guests and others a little more low key.  When Charlene and Taylor (my sister and brother-in-law) married the show included Char's art work.  Over the years other artists brought their work.  One could find watercolors, handmade baskets, homemade stools out of tree trunks, jewelry, Christmas ornaments, collages, and more.  There would be coffee made, plates of homemade cookies and sweet breads.  The children who were present loved that part the best. I took my work down this year and even sold a few things.  It was good to get feed back on my work.  The best part was sharing the 50th anniversary with my brother-in-law.  I met new people and saw old friends, some that I haven't seen for a long time.  I enjoyed connecting with the other artists.  It is always good to talk to other artists and hear how they are managing to make a living as an artist.  Most have other sources of income but not all.  All of the artists had one thing in common: an overwhelming desire/need to create. To allow their ideas to come to life and to share them with others is not always an easy thing to do.  And yet we do.  Today I rested and watched the cold rain outside my window.  Thankful that we had beautiful weather for the show.  Tomorrow I begin again but this afternoon I am thinking about all of the other artists who work alone. Who dare to share their creations. I wonder how many artists in Grand Rapids, right now, are looking out at the same bare branches and rain that I am. I wish them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment