Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

Today Doug and I took Hugo to Shaggy Pines dog park.  We walked the loop through two fenced in grassy fields where dogs can run and play then through the wooded areas around the now fenced off and drained pond.  Hugo kept to the fence line sniffing the wonderful smells that were left by whatever creatures had recently passed through the adjacent woods and fields.  We walked the loop two times which totaled about two miles.  Blowing fiercely in our faces, the wind was brisk at points during our trek.  The sun was shining, the snow was melting, and the black Michigan earth was wet and muddy.  At the end of our walk Hugo spotted his friend, Forrester.  Like Hugo he was once a resident at Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary.  They were there at different times but when they first met it was as though they were greeting a long lost friend.  They spotted each other across one of the fields and then ran like crazy towards one another.  Sniffing and wagging their tails so happy to see each other and then they began playing.  Each time they see each other it is the same.  It is a joy to watch.  After we said good-bye to Forrester we went into the club house to rinse the mud off of Hugo.  We ended up giving him a bath.  Hugo doesn't like getting a bath and it was a struggle to get him into the tub.  Once home our very shiny, clean, and minty smelling boy Hugo slept soundly.  I made a Tunisian cod soup for dinner that was deliciously warming.  Doug and I watched a little TV and so ends another weekend.




4 comments:

  1. This time of year in Michigan is ever changing. Snow can still be seen where shovels and plows have pushed it into large white reminders that winter lingers a bit longer. I love winter and have enjoyed my first one back in my home state. I am, however, beginning to look forward to spring. As the snow melted from the beds at the side of my house I noticed optimistic green shoots peeking out of black soil still damp from the last snowfall. I think I'm ready to say good-bye to winter and hello to spring. Tonight I was writing a note to myself on my cell phone and I saw some thoughts, a short poem, about driving on the first snowy day this winter. It was a beautiful day with wind blowing fluffy snow flakes. Here are my thoughts about that day:

    I drove next to the river yesterday.
    Following it's wild course through the cold, snowy day.
    It's choppy black water keeping pace with the crows erratic
    flight: black wings, black waves, celebrating, reveling in the wild beautiful Michigan winter and I wanting to join in the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beginning my new life as a full time artist. New starts require a lot of energy and a lot of delicious, warm, coffee! Thus the new background! Part of being a full time artist is creating a business. I am almost finished with my web site. I have set an intention to write on my blog once a week. I set an intention to teach art at Cook Art Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan and other like minded organizations. I am also going to be offering classes in my home. I would like to teach adults here at my house. I am thinking of changing the name of my art endeavors/business from Blumandala Studio to Morris Avenue Studio. Feedback is welcome. I would like to have studio work days where adults who would like a creative outlet could come and work with other like minded people. I would have a theme for the day. I think I am going to invite the artists on my street to my first art encounter, Coffee and Collage! For my first event I would not charge it would be more to get to know each other while having fun. Participants would bring some supplies and tools but I would also have supplies handy. If my supplies were used then a flat studio fee will be charged. I would have coffee, tea, and sweets. Participants would bring their own lunch. My other idea is to have a show of my work in my house next year. A year would give me time to create enough work and to get further involved in the local art scene. Which brings me to my next intention: getting more involved in the local art scene. On Division Street there are galleries I need to explore. There is an exploding art scene in that area of town and I think that my work would fit in well there. Another intention is to get regular exercise in addition to walking.
    I must keep fit in order to do what I want to do.
    Another intention is to continue meditating everyday. I am currently on day 15 of a meditation program from Deepak Chopra that is free. I have found it to be very beneficial. It is helping me change my outlook on life. It is helping me see that I still have a lot to look forward to and that good things can and do happen. Not getting a job that I really wanted made me sad and depressed. I found that I couldn't face working retail again. I am so thankful for Cook Art Center and Steffanie who hired me to teach there. I love the center, it's staff, and the students. They really want to be there and love coming to class. Working in my studio during the day and teaching in the afternoons and evenings is perfect. I still have some low moments but overall I feel confident and happy with being a full time artist. My dream of being a full time artist has come true! Now to make it successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was actually written last week. ooops did it as a comment instead of a post.

    ReplyDelete