Friday, December 20, 2013

Keeping Motivated

It can be difficult to keep motivated and optimistic.  It is not uncommon for me to be somewhat unmotivated after a big burst of creative productivity.  I pushed to get three large paintings completed, several pieces framed, labels made, statement written, and catalog updated for the Saline Mills Studio Sale.  This left my studio in a mess.  I have picked up and put away most items.  I have also been making labels for two narrow drawer units that hold tools, pencils, pastels, bookmaking supplies, etc. Taking the time to clean and organize helps me to think clearly.  It helps me to keep the negative thoughts at bay and allows the creative thoughts to flourish.

This week I am working on some fun projects for Christmas gifts.  I am making some sock monkeys for my favorite two and a half year old for Christmas.  He loves the ones that I have at my house so I thought I should make him a few for his room.  They will look happy sitting on his new big boy bed! This afternoon I am making dog biscuits.  Christmas treats for my dog Hugo and my daughter's dog Cooper.  The neighbor's will get some for their dogs along with a print of a Khamsa that I drew.  If I have time I will bake some Christmas cookies as well.  Christmas Eve day my daughter and grandson and I will bake more Christmas cookies.  We will bake our favorites along with a few new recipes to try.  Gingerbread men and sugar cookies will be frosted and decorated.  A favorite no bake cookie, chocolate haystacks will make their appearance.  Split Seconds, a butter cookie with raspberry jam glistening on top are on the list.  I also want to try a new recipe for ginger Pinwheel cookies.  If there is time I've always wanted to make black and white cookies.  Ambitious I know but I do have my helpers this year.

The flurry of Christmas activities and projects has claimed some of my studio time but that is all right with me.  Making Christmas gifts and baking Christmas cookies are part of the fun. Christmas wouldn't be the same for me if I didn't bake.  I love making cookies and sharing them with my family and friends.  I have lots of ideas for artwork that will wait until after Christmas.  I am motivated and optimistic about the direction that my art working is taking.  My optimism wavers when I start to think about generating an income as a full time artist and how to market my art.  Then I remind myself that this is my time to do this.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a most Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are ambitious. If I were you, I might try to get at least one of those done on Monday. One of your helpers gets easily distracted! :)

    ReplyDelete